- Why do organisms with a small surface area to volume ratio need an exchange surface?
- What are the features of an efficient exchange surface?
- How is the mammalian lung adapted for efficient gas exchange?
- How is cartilage, ciliated epithelium, goblet cells, smooth muscle and elastic fibres in the trachea, bronchi, bronchioles and alveoli of the mammalian gaseous exchange system distributed?
- What are the functions of cartilage, cilia, goblet cells, smooth muscle and elastic fibres in the mammalian gaseous exchange system?
- Can you explain the mechanism of breathing?
- What do the terms tidal volume and vital capacity mean?
- How can a spirometer can be used to measure vital capacity, tidal volume, breathing rate and oxygen uptake?
- Can you analyse and interpret data from a spirometer?