4. Cell Division
- What happens in the cell cycle?
- What are the main stages of mitosis?
- What is a homologous pair of chromosomes?
- What is mitosis used for?
- How does budding in yeast occur?
- Do you understand that cells produced by meiosis are not genetically identical?
- What is a stem cell?
- Can you define the term differentiation – with reference to erythrocytes and neutrophils in the bone marrow, and the production of xylem vessels and phloem sieve tubes from cambium?
- Can you describe the following specialised cells: erythrocytes, neutrophils, epithelial cells, sperm cells, palisade cells, root hair cells and guard cells?
- What do the following terms mean tissue, organ and organ system?
- How are cells organised into tissues? E.g. squamous and ciliated epithelia, xylem and phloem.
- Why is cooperation between cells, tissues, organs and organ systems important?